A Rare Glimpse

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Victoria Day long weekend

I went home for the long weekend, seeing as I didn't get to go for Mother's Day, and it was my mom's b-day coming up. Unfortunately, it was a really cold and rainy week, I got wet and cold taking the kids to the park, so I ended up sick in bed for half of the weekend. Thank God I recovered quickly enough to go with the family out for dinner at Outback, an Aussie-style restaurant. The Bloomin' Onion was deee-licious. :) Fried, spicy and greasy....the perfect appetizer for a just-sick gal. Hehe. The food serving size at this restaurant is heavy though....4 main dishes split between 5 adults and we all came out feeling stuffed...and they had the nerve to ask us if we wanted dessert!! ;) No, we don't want to be morbidly obese, thank you.

The holiday Monday, a bunch of Waterloo Navs alumni and Toronto people went hiking at Terra Cotta Conservation Area. It was great exercise with hardly any mosquitoes, but lots of mud! Oodles of mud that covered my hiking shoes and the bottom of my jeans. We did some serious hiking though, as we went on several trails. Great fun catching up with people and getting to know others. Too bad C.T. and I had to leave before dinner to catch our rides back to K-town. Seems we missed some pretty interesting discussions that happened over dinner!! And I wish I could have caught the fireworks...I love watching them, esp. the big, colourful and loud ones.

While I was babysitting today, one of the boys was talking about being married to his friend, who happens to be a girl. :P It was so cute listening to him talk...he's only 4 and 3/4 years old!! Haha...made me wonder when I had missed out on the courtship/marriage train... ;) It's all about patience and time, I know.

So I watched X-men 3 this past Tuesday. It was good enough that I enjoyed it, unlike Mission Impossible 3, which I did not enjoy much...it gave me a headache. My advice, don't expect too much out of sequels. It was nice to meet up with friends and softball people for the movie, getting to know people outside of our normal contexts. Some of us went out for dessert afterwards, and the cake I got was yum! (Even though I still don't know what kind of cake it was exactly....) Watching movies, sharing cake, and talking...I foresee more of that in the near future...it's what summers are made of...harder to fit it in during a school year when everyone's buried in papers and readings, esp. ppl like me who are horrible at time management when it comes to school. :P